Forums » Support

in a 71-minute delay.Martinez p

• 2061 posts
    December 6, 2017 9:45 PM PST

BOSTON -- On the streets, alleyways and parking lots of Bostons Chinatown, immigrants developed a unique style of volleyball now played in Chinatowns across the country. Wholesale Jerseys . Now, an asphalt court where the game still thrives stands in the way of development.The prime slice of real estate near the historic Chinatown is steps from busy South Station and home to a 1930s-era steam plant with towering smokestacks and a modern state government office.But its also the site of Reggie Wong Memorial Park, a modest asphalt basketball and volleyball court where Chinese immigrants and their descendants play the game known as nine-man. An annual tournament between Chinatown teams across the country started blocks away from the hardcourt in the 1940s and continues to this day.Nine-man holds a special place for those of Chinese descent, said Tunney Lee, an urban studies and planning professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, whose father was a player and organizer.The game traces its roots to a style of volleyball developed in Taishan, a southern Chinese city where many of the earliest Chinese immigrants hailed from, and became a critical social outlet for immigrants largely isolated from broader American society.Part of the image of the Chinese was that of weaklings who were passive and servile, Lee said. Volleyball was a skill sport with strategy, teamwork and aggressiveness.At its most basic, nine-man involves more players -- standard volleyball has six players per side -- as well as a larger court and modified rules that have allowed for a different style of gameplay to evolve.Todays organizers say the first intercity game happened in Boston in 1935, between locals and a team from Providence, Rhode Island.The competitions steadily grew over the years, with Chinese communities in New York, New Jersey, Washington, D.C., San Francisco and Los Angeles fielding teams to play in Boston.The North American Chinese Invitational Volleyball Tournament carries on the intercity rivalry today, hosting an annual competition in a different Chinatown each Labor Day weekend.Republican Gov. Charlie Bakers administration began seeking proposals last month to buy and develop the 5-acre site thats home to Reggie Wong Park as a centerpiece of his pledge to generate revenue and spur development by unloading underused government land.Chinatown activists and nine-man enthusiasts have voiced their concerns at community meetings this past year, prompting the administration to require developers to propose ways to carve out a public park somewhere on the site at least as big as the current court.Patrick Marvin, a spokesman for the state Department of Transportation, which is overseeing the land sale, notes the state is requiring prospective developers to guarantee the park remains public. It is also calling for other open space areas on the development site.But some in Chinatown want the state to require a larger park with more amenities. They also want guarantees that a temporary space will be carved out during construction so organized games can continue uninterrupted. And they worry not enough housing built on the property will be affordable to lower-wage Chinatown residents.The park is the latest battleground in the decades-long debate over gentrification in one of the nations oldest and largest Chinatowns. The neighborhood, with narrow streets lined with independent storefronts and eateries, has withstood waves of redevelopment dating to the 1950s, when an interstate highway was cut through it.Russell Eng, who coaches teen volleyball at the park, named after his uncle, says it keeps the Chinese community connected even as more increasingly live in suburbs, some of which have sprouted their own satellite Chinatowns.Todays Chinatown is geographically wider than what it was when I growing up there, he said. Reggie Wong Memorial Park serves as the center of the universe for them.Ursula Liang, who made the 2014 documentary 9-MAN: a Streetball Battle in the Heart of Chinatown, says Bostons predicament isnt unique.In her current hometown of New York, the Boston-area native says asphalt parks where nine-man is played are being converted into fields for soccer and other sports to draw new residents.Said Liang: What concerns me is that while most of these proposals tout things like economic growth and community improvement, ultimately the ideas that win out benefit politicians and businesspeople more than anyone else.---Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo. His work can be found at http://bigstory.ap.org/journalist/philip-marcelo Cheap NFL Jerseys . The Swede became the first golfer to win the PGA Tours FedEx Cup and European Tours Race to Dubai in the same season. "It is still taking a little time to sink in what Ive achieved this week as was the case when I won the FedEx Cup but then it just kept getting better and better as the days went on and I am sure this will be the same," he said. Cheap Jerseys From China . Numbers Game looks into the Canadiens securing the services of Thomas Vanek in a trade with the New York Islanders. The Canadiens Get: LW Thomas Vanek and a conditional fifth-round pick. http://www.nflcheapjerseys.us/ . Self was acquired from the Buffalo Bandits in a trade for Alex Hill midway through last season, and made his debut in Rochester on March 16, 2013. DETROIT -- The Detroit Tigers honored David Ortiz with a pregame ceremony that included two of his closest friends in baseball.It didnt help.Ortizs two-run homer in the fifth inning turned out to be the difference in Bostons 3-2 victory over the slumping Tigers on a rainy Saturday night.It was a hanging breaking ball, and I got it, Ortiz said.When asked if he knew the ball was gone off the bat, he laughed.Of course I knew. Next question.Hours earlier, Tigers general manager Al Avila had joined with Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez for a tribute to Ortizs career . After all three talked about Ortizs impact in pre-recorded videos, they presented him with a large framed photograph from his appearance in the 2005 All-Star Game in Detroit.That meant a lot to me, because those two guys are brothers to me -- they are family, Ortiz said. To hear what they said about me was great. They will stay with me forever.The start of the game was delayed 80 minutes by storms that moved into the area during the afternoon, and another heavy downpour interrupted the game for about 71 minutes after the fifth inning.That was a long night, but we never lost our focus, Red Sox manager John Farrell said. Luckily, David got a high fastball and put it out. We needed that.Drew Pomeranz (2-2) gave up one run and four hits in five innings. He struck out three, but did not walk a batter. Craig Kimbrel got the last four outs for his 22nd save.When we knew we were going to need to get Miggy, Victor and J.D. Martinez, the four-out save seemed like the right decision, Farrell said.Kimbrel retired those three, but still almost blew the save.Justin Upton drove a ball to deep center field and started celebrating the game-tying homer, but it hit inches from the top of the fence, 420 feet away.I hit that ball about as good as I can hit it, Upton said. I was obviously shocked, but at the same time you know what park you are playing in. Its a big yard out there.Upton ended up on second, and Casey McGehee struck out to end the game at 12:17 am.James McCann and J.D. Martinez homered for the Tigers, who have lost 10 of 13.We cant worry about that -- we have another game tomorrow, Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said before looking at the clock. Well, we actually have another game later today.Daniel Norris (1-2) took the loss, giving up three runs and eight hits in his five innings. He walked two and struck out four whille escaping multiple jams. Wholesale NFL Jerseys. I thought he looked good, McCann said. We attacked with his fastball and had success, but unfortunately the rain cut his outing short.Boston took the lead in the third, but could have had a much bigger inning. Dustin Pedroia, Xander Bogaerts and Ortiz started it with singles to load the bases, but Mookie Betts hit into a double play.Pedroia scored and Norris walked Hanley Ramirez before retiring Jackie Bradley Jr. to end the inning.McCann then tied the game with a solo homer in the bottom of the inning.Ortiz, though, broke the tie in the fifth with his second homer in two nights. The two-run shot gave him 1,500 RBI with the Red Sox.The Tigers put their first two runners on in the bottom of the fifth, but McCann hit into a double play and Andrew Romine grounded out. Moments later, the second storm hit, resulting in a 71-minute delay.Martinez pulled the Tigers to 3-2 with a long homer to left in the seventh. Matt Barnes walked two batters in the eighth, but Erick Aybar popped out on the first pitch he saw for the second out.That brought Kimbrel in to face Cabrera for the first time in their careers. Cabrera lined out to left field on an 0-1 pitch.I thought that Craig getting out of that on two pitches was huge, Farrell said. That set him up to get able to get through the ninth.TRAINERS ROOMRed Sox: OF Chris Young (hamstring) has played in six rehab games with Triple-A Pawtucket, and is hitting .211 (4-for-19) with two doubles. He has also played three games in left field.Tigers: OF Cameron Maybin (wrist) took batting practice with the team in the indoor cages under the stands. The Tigers hope to have him back in about a week.THANKING BIG PAPIDuring his speech, Avila joked about Detroit also always remembering the damage Ortiz has done -- a reference to his series-changing grand slam in the 2013 ALCS -- while Cabrera, speaking in Spanish, pleaded with him to play one more season.UP NEXTThe teams finish the four-game series Sunday afternoon with Detroit ace Justin Verlander (12-7, 3.44) facing Bostons Henry Owens, who is replacing scheduled starter Eduardo Rodriguez (hamstring). The Red Sox are one of the few teams with a positive record against Verlander, who is 4-5 with a 3.05 ERA in 14 starts against them. Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys ' ' '